Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Tough Stuff


Although there are many wonderful things happening in our lives right now, I think I have been avoiding a blog post because of the "not so wonderful" things that are just a part of living life! I will start with the wonderful things first :)

Colby finished up his first semester really strong, and got an A in the class that he has already received the final grade in... we are waiting to hear from the rest! This means 3 more semesters and a summer long research project abroad before he graduates with his MAIS, and probably about 7 more semesters until he finishes up with his MDIV. This is exciting and we cannot believe how fast the first semester has gone! I previously mentioned that we would be helping start a ministry for twentysomethings in our church, but the plans have changed and we have been asked to help transition the children's ministry into a "volunteer run" ministry starting in January! This is a little scary because neither of us has ever done children's ministry, but our interim pastor felt it would be a great (and yes, challenging!) fit for us with our interest in orphanage ministry in the future. Also, we think Colby may have gotten a little job on the side so that we can have a little extra money to save to come home or other special purchases! He'll be working with a man that has a business that assembles furniture (mostly Ikea stuff) in peoples' homes for them. The best part about it is the super flexible hours and most jobs he'll be able to ride with the guy which helps a TON since we only have one car! We are so thankful for all of these wonderful things and look forward to what next semester holds.

On to the tough stuff... As many of you may know, I have been battling with Rheumatoid Arthritis for about 10 years. For those who don't know, this is a disease where my body has gotten confused and attacks its own joints, causing pain and fatigue. I am very thankful that the majority of the last 10 years I have had great control and a slow progressing form of this disease! The medication that I normally take to treat RA is extremely expensive and, as a result, I have not been taking it for several months since right now we have essentially "emergency only" health insurance. Since starting my job, my energy level has been getting lower and lower and most days I am off are spent resting. It is frustrating to have a busy and productive mind and a body that just cannot keep up. I am really sharing all of this, not for pity or anything else, but a humble request to lift us up in prayer. It has also been really hard for Colby to cope... he has never seen me struggle this much with RA and is at a loss for what to say or do to help and I can tell it makes him feel helpless and sad. We are moving forward, trusting that the Joy of the Lord is our strength and are still enjoying life and making new friends... this is just a bump in the road and we are asking for your help to hold us up!

The hospital I work for offers GREAT benefits, but there is a 90 day waiting period from the first day of work! I am excited that my coverage starts January 1 and I'll be able to find a doctor that can get me started back on my medicine. We are so thankful that we live in a place and have been given the resources to receive treatment... I so often think of those who are suffering that have no hope of relief! We love you all and we are thankful to have friends who can be entrusted with the personal details and struggles in our journey.

Also, we cannot WAIT to get home! We'll be arriving in ATL on Christmas Eve... of course, we'll be spending Christmas and the Day after with family. We will be at church in Watkinsville on Sunday and I'll be working an 8 hour shift back at Gwinnett on the 29th. We would love to see anyone who has the time... just e-mail me and we'll try to work out a time :)

So thankful for your prayers,
Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment